Seeking flexible subset deployment scheme

We’re relatively new to Octopus Deploy. We have Development, Staging/UAT, and Production environments. We’re anticipating using a Blue/Green type model on Production, but it’s important to remember that Production is shared with other applications.
Recently, after an independent deployment of another product to the production environment it was determined that we need to alter our deployment from Blue/Green, to more of a Blue/Green/Orange model. Not just updating half at a time, but more like a third at a time, and have 2/3 of the servers active any time. Eventually, we’ll likely get more servers, but budgets being what they are…

The plan of defining two production environments, and then changing to 3 is not so smooth. There does not seem to be an easy way to move a target to a new environment. Plus, even if we were sticking with just two environments there’s a possibility that we may need to alter the grouping of the Blue/Green sets, and again this is cumbersome with no easy way to move targets between environments.

Q1: Is there an easy way to move targets between environments that I am somehow missing? or, must I always DELETE from one Environment and Add a new server to another?

One thought is that we maintain a single Production environment with all servers, but then utilize the Advanced deployment option to select subset targets. The problem here is that it seems we can only select each target server, and there is no way to have a system list variable selected. We’re dealing with 30 servers (roles include application, back-end web service, admin and other functions) so manually selecting the list each time is somewhat risky to get all correct The lists could generally be set and only occasionally be altered, but we could add new groups and make changes in a more controlled way.

Q2: Is there a way to create a list of servers variable to use in the advanced settings for the deployment?

What I’m basically saying is that while we have good intentions to create a structured definition for the deployment, we need to be flexible and role with changes as they are demanded. I’m looking for ways to configuration Octopus Deploy to help with that.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for getting in touch! I looks like you’re off to a good start trying to set up a Blue/Green deployment model.

To help us understand your setup, would you be able to let us know what version of Octopus you are currently running? We are curious as to how you are currently managing your environments, it should be relatively simple to move between environments without deleting and re-adding your machines. You should only need to change the environments on a machine. So getting a bit more information on your current processes would really help us to understand your situation.

We have a fantastic documentation page on implementing a Blue/Green strategy in Octopus that is absolutely worth checking out if you have not. I have linked it below.

If you have read this and are still having trouble please get back with any question and I will do my best to help you get it up and running.

Looking forward to hearing from you. :slight_smile:

Regards,
Daniel

Notice:

This issue has been closed due to inactivity. If you encounter the same or a similar issue and require help, please open a new discussion (if we asked for logs or extra details in this thread, consider including them in the new thread). If you are the creator of this thread and believe it should not be closed let us know via our support email.