Cannot re-add user

One of the user accounts was unable to authenticate to the Octopus server, though all other users could. When inspecting the web call she saw the error:
“Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 401 (Unauthorized)”

She has been using it for about two months, and two days ago it started giving the authentication problem. We use A.D. to authenticate, so assumed that was the problem. She changed her PW in AD, then continued having the same problem. We tried modifying her user settings but each time I would try to save, the screen would continue trying to save but not complete the post.

I then tested creating another user with A.D., and that worked. So, I deleted her from users and tried adding her again, but same problem, when I try and save it would not complete the save.

We looked at her A.D. account and everything looks normal. The user logon name, UPN, SamAccountName, and email are all correct and use same format as other users that have access to the system.

Is there some troubleshooting I can perform to determine why we can’t create an account for her? All other accounts work, and I can create new accounts, it is just her connection to A.D. I believe.

Thanks in advance.

Hi @cmejia,

Thanks for getting in touch! I’m very sorry to hear you’re hitting this strange issue and for the inconvenience it’s been causing. Unfortunately I can’t spot what’s causing this off the bat, so a couple of things to help move this forward.

We have a comprehensive documentation page on troubleshooting integration with Active Directory, including some PowerShell scripts that you can run which duplicates the logic we use in Octopus to help more easily troubleshoot issues similar to this. I’m hoping something in there might help narrow down what could be occurring in your situation.

I’m also curious if it could be related to this known and fixed bug (affecting versions 2020.1.0 -> 2020.1.16 and for users signing in across domains). Can you confirm which version of Octopus you’re running, and if this might apply for this user?

Please let me know how you go, and if needed we’ll be happy to dive into this one more. :slight_smile:

Best regards,


We found the problem, the task, “Synchronize external security groups” had been running for two days. It would not stop even after using CANCEL feature, so I logged in to server and used the O.D. manager to restart the service. That fixed the problem and I was able to re-add the user. I should have looked at the diagnostics logs first, I am new at O.D. so will use that as my (not so good) excuse.

Thank you,


Hi Carlo,

Thank you for following up and letting me know the outcome of this one. Not a problem at all! Great to hear you’ve spotted what was going on. If you have any questions or concerns in the future, please don’t hesitate to reach out. :slight_smile:

Best regards,


This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.